Planning a Halloween themed party? Check out these tips on how to make your Halloween event extra spooky while staying green!
- Consider doing a costume swap or create a costume out of materials and clothing you already have. Some ideas: plaid shirt with jeans and a cowboy hat or pigtails= farmer or cowboy/girl. Glasses with suspenders and hiked up pants= nerd. Floppy hat with a sundress or Hawaiian shirt and camera= tourist. The options are endless!
- Use biodegradable or recycled decorations. A carved out pumpkin makes a great serving dish and leafs can be arranged in a beautiful centerpiece. For a more eerie look bed sheets can be hung from the ceiling to create ghosts and tree branches can be used in centerpieces!
- Serve only vegan candy and seasonally grown foods such as sweet potatoes, apples, and of course pumpkin. If you can’t buy local organic candies check out this list of brand name vegan candy by VegNews!
- Create a scary atmosphere while saving energy by turning down the lights and using soy candles. Soy candles burn cleaner and last longer than regular ones!Beanpod Candles have many autumn colors and scents available!
- If you are planning on taking children out trick-or-treating use reusable bags or pillow cases to collect candy in. ChicoBag has many Halloween styles that can be used year after year! Also encourage walking or bike riding rather than driving to nearby neighborhoods.
As always when planning a green event make sure you plan ahead to keep your goal of zero waste! Good luck with your eeek-o friendly Halloween party!